BINGHAM CAMP THEATRE RETREAT
Bingham Camp Theatre Retreat (BCTR) develops new work for the stage that promotes and celebrates diversity. Emphasizing non-traditional casting, multi-ethnic participants, and bold theatricality, BCTR offers unique development opportunities for new plays and musicals that encourage dialogue among artists from a variety of cultures.
Bingham Camp Theatre Retreat envisions an American Theatre where established and aspiring artists of color have generous opportunities to practice their craft, on- and offstage. In pursuit of this goal, BCTR will:
- Provide a safe, beautiful space in Salem, CT where artists can gather to develop new works that give voice to under-represented communities;
- Engage the communities of Salem, New York City and the American Theatre in dialogue, to advance the stories and artists associated with BCTR;
- Offer youth opportunities to learn from leaders in the field, in creative and administrative capacities that support BCTR programs.
BCTR centers around an annual two-week retreat at The Bingham Camp in Salem, CT. Each season, participants work on the development of a new musical and a new play. In addition, there are opportunities for readings and exploration of other work while on-site. It culminates in a presentation to an invited audience of local supporters, national art advocates and other professionals.
Under the artistic direction of Devanand Janki, the creative environment is collaborative and supportive, with the ultimate goal of creating high-quality work that has potential to be produced commercially so its message can reach larger audiences.
The quietude of the countryside around Bingham Camp offers the opportunity for participants to work without the interruption and distraction of a city. All artists receive a stipend plus housing and meals.
ABOUT ARTISTIC DIRECTOR DEVANAND JANKI
Dev is a New York-based Director and Choreographer who grew up spending summers at The Bingham Camp. His career spans all facets of the performing arts – theatre, opera, ballet and corporate entertainment.
He began as a performer, appearing in numerous productions including Broadway’s Miss Saigon. Cats, The King & I, and Side Show. For the past 15 years, he has been a freelance director, working regionally and in New York on over 50 shows including Aladdin, Junie B. Jones, Man of La Mancha, Rent, The Full Monty and Off-Broadway’s Zanna Don’t for which he won the Lucille Lortel Award.
His passion has always been creating new work for the stage. He is excited that The Bingham Camp, which inspired so much of his own creativity, is now a home for other theatre professionals. He looks forward to sharing their work with the community in the years to come. www.devanandjanki.com
CURRENTLY In DEVELOPment at bctr
- PANGAEA a new musical with book and lyrics by Lee Summers, music by Janet Noh, and story by Janet Noh & Lee Summers
LITTLE GIRL BLUE a one-woman nusical by Laiona Michelle
Past shows developed at bctr
- MAFATU a musical by Adam Overett
- THE FAMILY RESEMBLANCE a play with music by Masi Asare
- ESSPY a play by Nandita Shenoy
- THE GALILEE HOUSE a play by B.V. Marhsall